Best Convertible Car Seats
Your family needs both safety and comfort. Therefore, you should ensure that your car has all the provisions for comfort and safety. One of the most important features that you should have in your car is the best convertible car seats. It is your prime job as a parent to ensure that your kids are safe at all times. Family car trips are the most exciting events that you will not want to miss.
This information will enable you to make the right choice when ordering for a new best convertible car seats for your child. You do not want to end up purchasing a product that you will have to return. You need to consider factors such as your car size and even the cost of the product. Therefore, you should only settle for only the best product that will make you happy.
- Best Convertible Car Seats Comparison :
- Things to consider in buying the best convertible car seats
- It’s capacity
- Here are the Top 11 best convertible car seats in 2020:
- 1. The Britax Advocate Click Tight Best Convertible Car Seats
- The Disadvantages:
- 2. Graco Extend2Fit Best Convertible Car Seats
- The disadvantage
- 3. The Britax Boulevard Click Tight Best Convertible Car Seats
- The disadvantages:
- 4. Graco 4ever 4in1 Best Convertible Car Seats
- The disadvantages:
- 5. Chicco NextFit Zip Best Convertible Car Seats
- The disadvantages:
- 6. Britax Marathon Click Tight Best Convertible Seat
- The disadvantages:
- 7. Maxi Cosi Magellan 5in1 Best Convertible Seats
- The Disadvantages:
- 8. Peg Perego Primo Viaggio Best Convertible Seats
- The disadvantages:
- 9. The Diono Radian RXT2 All-in-One Best Convertible Seats
- The disadvantages:
- 10. EvenFlo tribute LX Best Convertible Car Seats
- 11. The Convertible Car Seat that is suitable for small cars
- What are the safest and best convertible car seats in 2020?
- What is Convertible Car Seats? and Why Need It?
- What convertible car seat is best for small cars?
- How to install Convertible car seats?
- Point Are
- Adjust the straps to its proper position.
- How to correctly strap the baby into the seat?
- How long do babies use car seats?
- When the baby grows taller than the top of the infant car seat top
- Understanding Infants and Convertible Car Seats
- Infant vs Convertible (Car Seats)
- On the other hand,
- When to switch from infant car seat to convertible?
- When to upgrade from an infant car seat?
- For me,
- All you need to know about booster seats
- Standard types of convertible car seat booster
- What are the pros of backless booster?
- What are the cons for the backless booster?
- High back booster
- What are the pros for the convertible car seats with the high back booster?
- What are the cons for the high back booster?
- Need for added protection to the baby’s head
- Need for safety over convenience
- Need for reuse
- Ease of use
- Our main selection
Best Convertible Car Seats Comparison :
|Image||Product Name||Our Rating||Current Price|
|The Britax Advocate Click Tight Convertible Car Seat||4.9||Check Here|
|Graco Extend 2Fit Convertible Car Seat||4.9||Check Here|
|The Britax Boulevard Click Tight Convertible Car Seat||4.8||Check Here|
|Graco 4ever 4in1 Convertible Car Seat||5.0||Check Here|
|Chicco NextFit Zip Convertible Car Seat||5.0||Check Here|
|Britax Marathon Click Tight Convertible Car Seat||4.8||Check Here|
|Maxi Cosi Magellan 5in1 Convertible Car Seat||4.7||Check Here|
|Peg Perego Primo Viaggio Convertible Car Seat||4.6||Check Here|
|The Diono Radian RXT2 All-in-One Convertible car Seat||4.6||Check Here|
|EvenFlo tribute LX convertible car seat||4.5||Check Here|
|The Convertible Car Seat that is suitable for small cars||4.5||Check Here|
- The Brand Name. The brand of the convertible seat you should buy should be a reputable brand. It can be check by reading reviews of this category in car seats. As reviews are written by costumers themselves, you can be assured that what is written is true to their experiences.
- Features and functionality. Different companies have different designs and features of their products. You need to study what are the features of each product and you can now decide, which of these are more fit to your requirement.
- This is another issue that needs to be considered. The convertible seats that you will buy, must have passed the standard, set by the regulatory bodies. Make sure that the product you will buy, is in strict compliance of the world standards in car seats.
- Flexibility is another important thing to consider. Sometimes people need to transfer from one car to the other. It is a great possibility for families with many cars to use. You must make sure that the best convertible car seats you have is able to be fit in another car model or brand. This so important for families who use to move from one car to another.
- Another important factor to check is the capacity of the best convertible car seats. It must be able to carry the same weight as your baby. It must also be capable to handle your baby, while they grow older. As much as possible, you will have to buy one car seat for your baby’s lifetime.
- Travelling with a baby is very tiring. Sometimes there is the need to carry your car seat when you want to go to a specific place or if you want to remove it. It must be of convenient size and design, to make it easier for you to store it or keep it in a secure place.
- Babies usually cannot stand the stress in travelling, unless they are feeling very comfortable in where they are. They should be comfortable in the whole travel time.
Here are the Top 11 best convertible car seats in 2020:
Absolutely one of the best convertible car seats in the planet. It is also the best convertible seat per consumer reports. It has amazing features and functions that are not found in any other best convertible car seats around such as:
- The Anti-Rebound Bar (ARB). This best convertible car seats is one among the only two convertible seats who have an Anti-Rebound Bar
The feature will reduce the force experience by a child during an accident while they are facing the rear end of the car. This feature is very popular in Europe and slowly becoming popular in te US today. Both Britax and Baby Jogger are the leading company using this technology in the US.
- It has a capacity of 5-65 lbs. Another good feature of a good car seat.
- The harness.
- Safety is not compromised with price. Britax has installed those giant side impact protection which is most popular to passed all crash testing. The company also used steel reinforced frames in their seats, that makes it stronger. There is also the energy absorbing foam and the premium latch system. It also has the best harness system, that clicks when it reached the appropriate tightness.
- Easy Installation. The car seat is easy to install in the car. There is no need to be technical savvy to do it. By just following the instructions, it can be done easily.
- Quality Finish. The finish of the product is great and there are many options available for you to choose from. You can choose colors and many more functionality.
- Brand Name. This convertible seat is a product of Britax USA has the reputation of building best convertible car seats. Their reputation says a lot on what the seat is made of.
- Usually, it is sold at a price of $380+, depending on the dealer and the location.
- More expensive. The convertible is more expensive than the other. It is because of the materials used in the manufacture of such car seat.
- Considering the materials used in this car seat, it is relatively heavier and bulkier than the other car seats in the market.
The seat supports new born babies with its great reclined capability. It has an upper limit of 40 lbs rear facing. This seat allows you to go front facing as early as 20 pounds. It can support children up to 65 pounds or 49” tall.
This is among the best in the market. If you don’t want to compromise safety and comfort with the price and is you can afford it, this is arguably the best in the market.Check Latest Price
Another convertible car seat that stands out among the rest is the Graco Extend2Fit Best Convertible Car Seats. The following features:
- This car seat can support the rear-facing weight of 50 lbs and an overall weight capacity of 4-65 lbs. It is perfect for a flexible car seat. This means that you can use this convertible for a longer time.
- The convertible also has a good safety feature such as a sturdy steel-reinforced frame, a no-thread harness, a secure secured side impact protection, EPS energy absorbing foam, a good rating in crash tests and easy installation process.
- This car seat is easy to use and very comfortable. It is even approved for air travel and this seat is very popular to parents because of its versatility in usage. This versatility makes parents love this convertible.
- The seat has 10 headrest positions adjustment and 6 Recline positions to choose to. That makes it more flexible and comfortable to use.
- The price is a put at $250+ a little more expensive.
- The seat is bulky and heavier compared to most convertible car seats in the market.
- There is confusion among buyers, because of the availability of many models which are almost similar to each other.
One more factor about this car seat is that, during testing, it is found out that the 5” extension allows the car seat to go out farther in the back seat. This will be an issue of you have a smaller car. But, for those who own an SUV or a bigger car, this is not an issue. Graco Extend2Fit Best Convertible Car Seats has the capacity, safety, versatility, and comfort. All these features are essential in making it to the best in its category of best convertible car seats.
This car set convertible is priced a bit lower than car seats mentioned above. But, it has good safety features like the one’s listed above. It has some of the features of the best car seat in the market.
- Safety, Quality, and Reliability. It has the same double-side impact protection, a steel-reinforced frame, EPP energy absorbing foam and an excellent crash test performance.
- Product of the USA.
- This car seat has a weight range of 5-65lbs.
- Brand Name. This car seat is also a product of the US. It is manufactured by the same company as the advocate.
- It also has the no-thread harness and it is very easy to install, easy to clean and so comfortable for the child. Also it is also approved for air travel for those very mobile.
- This convertible seat usually sells for a round $300. This is already a good price, considering the benefits it offers to its users.
- Brand Name. It is also a product of one of the reputable maker of convertible car seat covers in the US.
- It has no booster mode, just like the advocate.
- Its size and its weight are also a minus point. You cannot uninstall this seat easily and transfer it to another car.
- It has no cup holder.
- Limited rear-facing capacity.
- The latch connectors are old style and
- It has less side impact protection than the advocate.
Britax is a safety-centered car seat. Consider the 5-point harness that is very easy to adjust, the SafeCell impact protection system. This includes the reinforced steel and the energy absorbing foam. It also has a thick double side impact protection system and the headrest that is well padded. Convenience is also included in the package and so wit outmost comfort.
You can check more of the product on their website. The product deserves a 5- stars rating and it is undeniably among the top or best convertible car seats in the market.Check Latest Price
This car seat is oozing with versatility and durability. This is the car seat that your child will be using until he is capable of setting without it. The following features:
- It has the largest capacity among the car seats in the market today. It has a range of 4 to 120 lbs.
- The car seat will both serve as rear and front-facing harnessed seat, front and back belt-positioning booster. It is also approved for air travel.
- The safety package includes no-rethread harness, a good side impact protection, a steel reinforced frame and the same EPS energy-absorbing foam.
- The seat has 2 cup holders, easy installation and adjustments mechanism and has a modern latch connector.
- This best convertible car seats will sell to about $250-$300 in the US. The price will depend on the color and the finishing.
- The car seat has the capability to change it from infant to toddler seat. It has a very easy adjustment of shoulder belts and headrest. It is also capable of adjusting to 6 different reclining positions. Also it is equipped with the InRight Latch system, which will allow users easy dismantling for reuse in other vehicles.
- It can only accommodate rear-facing up to 40 lbs.
- It is bulky for most compact cars in the market today.
- Many features, but there is nothing extra ordinary among them.
The capability to convert from an infant seat to a toddler car seat is a bonus feature. The seat is rated for 10 years usage. Other bonus features are:
- Easily adjustable shoulder belts and head rest.
- Easily positioned reclined handle that allows 6 positions adjustments. This function allows getting the correct recline when used in rear-facing infant mode.
- An awesome InRight LATCH system, which makes it possible for an easy pulling out, to move from vehicle to the other. Overall, if versatility is what you need in a convertible seat, why not try to take this Graco 4orever 4in1 best convertible car seat.
This car seat is one of the favorites among convertible car users. It is because of its features, that is un-match by the others in the market.
- The machine washable zip-off cover makes cleaning a very easy task. It has a very easy to use the Latch system, that makes every installation easy. Adjustments have many options to choose from. It also has an easy to read and understand recline indicators and instructions. The harness will also automatically pull out, making it easier for you to slide you baby inside out. The headrest can also be easily adjusted to 9 different levels.
- The same side impact protection and steel reinforced the frame.
- The capacity of this car seat is about 5-65 lbs. This can also support new born of up to 11 lbs. using its infant insert function.
- The finish is excellent for its category. The fabric is soft, breathable and comfortable for the baby.
- It is bulky and heavier, just like those in the top of the list.
- No booster mode.
- Capacity is limited to 40 lbs. rear facing.
- A little bit expensive. The design and placement of the cup holder are poor.
- Its bucket style set is so deep, that makes pulling your baby very hard. The design of the set is not good for shorter babies.
There are several good reasons to love this car seat.
- The reclined indicators makes it easy to find the best recline positions for rear and front facing modes. This makes adjusting the reclined position of the seat easier.
- The easy washing capability of the cover, with its zip-off washable cover.
- The placement of the harness, which will automatically burst out when unbuckled. It gives a way for an easier movement of the seat.
- The placement of the head rest and the side impact padding is a plus factor.
Overall, this model of the convertible is still a good option for people who have more financially.Check Latest Price
This convertible car seat is one of the most reasonably priced among the best convertible car seat in the market. Its features are the following:
- The car seat is popular for its quality, reliability, and durability, minus the price of $350+.
- It has an overall capacity of 5-65 pounds, means, it can accommodate different sizes of children or toddlers. It is also cost efficient because you will not buy another set, when your child grew older.
- Also it has a no-rethread harness, side impact protection, and a steel-reinforced frame. To add to that is the EPP energy absorbing foam and its excellent crash test performance.
- This factor is not left behind in the design, as the car seat is very convenient to handle and easier to install, with its click tight technology.
- The car seat is cheaper in price, compared to the one on top of the list. Price is usually pigged at $225-$350.
- Made in the US, by a reputable company.
- This best convertible car seats is not advisable for taller kids. It cannot provide comfort and protection for taller kids on board.
- Less in comfort, compared to the more expensive car seats. You cannot find the same comfort that you will find in the leading brands.
- Its cover is non-machine washable. It’s a little hassle to remove and clean up its cover.
- It still uses the old type of latch connectors. This kind of connectors are not the easy type to remove or unlock.
- Its rear facing capacity is limited to 40 pounds. Another blow to the product is its limited capacity.
- It has no cup holders, like the more rated ones.
This car seat keeps parents away from the hassles of the first time of installing a car seat. It comes with great features in its seat mechanism, paralleled with its reputation of safety and quality.
This Britax convertible is good for people, who wanted a taste of Britax brand. This is for the people who are willing to compromise some of the comforts, that a more expensive convertible seat can offer.
Maxi Cosi Magellan 5in1 has the quality and durability that you can expect from a Maxi Cosi product, the following Features:
- It is capable of carrying a weight range of 5 to 120 pounds. It is capable of rear facing, front facing with harness and front facing, as a positioning booster. At 19 inches wide, it carries all those versatilities of a good car seat.
- The convertible is equipped with an adjustable side to impact protection capability, EPS and energy absorbing foam.
- Installing this seat is not at its best, but it is easy enough as it is not so heavy. Its cover is machine washable and very easy to remove.
- The brand. Maxi Cosi is one of the reputable car seat makers in the US. It has a reputation in the industry. Their products are proven in durability and quality.
- The seat supports newly born as small as 5 pounds.
- It is capable of changing from 22-65 pounds with a 5-point harness to a forward-facing toddler car seat and then towards a belt-positioning booster seat from 40-120 pounds.
- This product boost of a 14 positions headrest and a 7 reclining positions, which will provide comfort to the child.
- It has no steel reinforced frame. And It is not totally safe for the baby in case of an accident.
- It collects fur after a few days of use.
- Capacity is limited to 40 pounds rear-facing.
- Its features cannot justify its $300 price.
- It has multiple color options.
The car seat is heavy that it tips the scale at 25 pounds. But it is not possible for constant switching from car to car. To add to its weight is the size. It is bulky enough for a small car.
Coziness is out of the question here. It brings so much comfort and it is convenient enough to adjust. Its mechanism from safety to comfortability are
Easy to use.
The car seat is heavy at 25 pounds. It is not designed to being move from one car to another.Check Latest Price
This car seat is consistently in the list of the best car seat for several years now. It is often in the top 10 in the list and often between 5 to 10 in rankings.
- The seat has an overall weight range of 5-65 pounds that is at par with the best there is in the market. It also has a rear-facing limit of 45 pounds.
- For safety purposes, it is equipped with the EPS energy-absorbing foam, the side impact protection capability, the tested and efficient Peg Perego SAFE crumple zone system. It has an excellent safety record.
- This seat has premium in its finishing.
- The Brand Name.
- It is easy to install. The cover is easy to clean and remove from the seat. It has a no-rethread harness system. It is also equipped with a premium latch connector and is approved for air travel.
- At a price of $350, there are missing features that usually come with seats of this category.
- It is bulky, no booster mode and cup holders. It lacks the convenience that a good car seat can offer.
- The seats stand high in the car, not a good feature for a smaller car.
- There is no frame reinforcement, instead, they used a plate in the back of the frame. This is not enough protection for the child in case of accidents.
The seat can be easily installed to the car seat and the buckles are efficient enough to get the child in and out of the car seat. However, there are a few problems with this seat. It doesn’t have a cup holder. The problem is so minimal, but it also has a very limited adjustment for the head rest. At a price of $350, it is considered expensive compared to other seats with the same features.Check Latest Price
The best feature that makes this car seat popular is its narrow feature, It’s just 17 inches wide, that will allow you to fit 3 seats in a row.
- The car seat can support babies 5 – 120 pounds.
- It can support rear facing of up to 45 pounds. It has a side impact protection, an EPS energy-absorbing foam, a frame that is steel reinforce and is equipped with the safe-stop harness technology. And It has a full steel frame in it.
- The car seat has a high-quality finish, simple adjustment system and a cover that is machine washable. It is approved for air travel and has a folding capability. The fabric is also soft and breathable for the baby.
- It has a wide range of adjustments in the headrest, that enables you to adjust to 12 different settings. It can be carried like a back pack.
- This car seat is a little bit expensive, simple and sophisticated. It is priced at $300.
- Not suitable for babies with bigger bums, because of its narrow feature. Forcing your baby in the car seat will result to injuries or pain in the skin.
- There is crash test results concerns in the past.
- The car seat comes bulky and heavy. It is not good for those people who travel frequently and those who change car frequently.
This car seat is excellent in versatility and construction. The crush set brings a little concern. Although it passes the government standards, it fell short compared to the other popular best convertible car seats in terms of protection for the child.Check Latest Price
10. EvenFlo tribute LX Best Convertible Car Seats
This is a car seat which has several different designs that you can choose for to perfectly fit into your vehicle. This is one the best convertible car seats that meets and even exceeds the federal safety standards. It has got four harness positions as well as two crotch buckle positions. You can also remove the head pillow if your child requires extra support and comfort.
2 Seats in 1: 2 Modes of Harness use – Rear-Facing & Forward-Facing
Compact Design: For small cars & multi-seat use
4 Shoulder Harness Positions: Provide a proper fit for your growing infant
Weight 9.29 pounds
Dimensions 18.5 x 22 x 25.5 inches
Target gender Unisex
Minimum weight recommendation: Four Pounds
Maximum weight recommendation: Forty Pounds
Additional product features: Adjustable Head Support Adjustable Head Support
Number of items 1
Style Only Car Seat
Batteries required No
Specification met: certified frustration-free
Orientation: Forward / Rear Facing
Rear-facing minimum child weight : 5 Pounds
Rear-facing maximum infant weight: 40 Pounds
Forward-facing minimum infant weight: 22 Pounds
Forward-facing maximum child weight: 40 Pounds
11. The Convertible Car Seat that is suitable for small cars
The key features that are associated with this car seat are those that make it convenient for a small car.
- This car seat has a removable cup holder.
- It has got an adjustable headrest that can be easily customized to fit children of different sizes.
- It has got a compact design that will allow it to fit into smaller cars. Three of this kind of car seats can perfectly fit in smaller vehicles side by side in the back seat. It is thus a perfect car seat for the small and growing families.
- It can accommodate 5 to 40 pounds in the rear-facing mode and from 22 to 65 pounds in the forward-facing mode.
- This particular car seat comes with great comfort. The removable body pillow will ensure that your child sits comfortably while the removable cup holder will keep the child’s drinks closer.
- This convertible car seat ensures that the child is safe as well. It has got a side impact protection built into it which will keep the child safe and secure. Moreover, this car seat meets the federal ASTM and JPMA safety standards as well as a one-year limited warranty.
- This product weighs about 14 pounds and its dimensions are 27.2 by 18.5 by 20.2 inches.
What are the safest and best convertible car seats in 2020?
Britax Advocate Click Tight is undoubtedly the best and safest convertible car seat in the market today by Britax. It is also the best convertible seat for infants in the market today. They are also rated 5-star in amazon.com. It is loaded with superior safety features and functionality that delivers comfort to the users. This is their highest end model and it has a sturdy steel reinforced frame, that makes it more protected. Its high performance in crush test is unparalleled.
What is Convertible Car Seats? and Why Need It?
A convertible car seat is just similar to any car child set. The difference is the many features and functionality it brings. This convertible sets are capable of being adjusted to rear and forward-facing mode. When your child is still an infant, you can adjust it to rear facing mode for more safety driving. But, as soon as your child grows and the demand requires them to be seated forward facing, this convertible car seats are able to be adjusted the same way.
Our focus now is how to find the best convertible car seats in 2020. There are many best convertible car seats in the market today, but, looking for the top or best convertible car seats is the most challenging task.
There are so many types of best convertible car seats that are now available in the market. It becomes a challenge for you when choosing the right convertible car seat for your car. Each of the best convertible car seats has safety features and several other features that make them unique. Knowing such features will help you choose the best convertible car seats. The ideal convertible car seat is one that suits your needs and priorities.
What convertible car seat is best for small cars?
The Diono Radian RXT2 All-in-One Convertible Car Seat is for us the best car seat for small cars and it is the best convertible car seats for travels. It’s the best convertible car for its light weight. Its narrow design makes it more feasible to be used in small cars. You can place 3 seats in a row, because of its narrow design.
How to install Convertible car seats?
Best Convertible car seats are designed for the safety of babies while travelling on a car. It’s designed to be facing the rear side of a car, for infants and smaller children. Until such time that they are allowed to face in the front of a car, they will stay facing the rear side. Here are tips in installing the car seats in the car.
- To avoid complication in installation, adjust first the car seat to fit the child. It’s easier to adjust, while the car seat is not yet installed to the vehicle. Because once it is installed, it will be very difficult to make any adjustments.
Adjust the straps to its proper position.
- It should be below the shoulder for a rear-facing car seat. Alternatively, for a front facing car seat, the straps should be above the shoulder.
- Fasten the harness and making sure that it is not twisted. A twisted harness is not comfortable for the baby. It is painful to the skin and it will change the mode of your child.
- Check the cars owner’s manual to make sure of the proper location to install the car seat. The best option is always the back seat and the middle is a good alternate.
- Check the car’s manual where it is possible to install the car seat with a LATCH system. There are positions in the car that is not possible to install a LATCH system.
- Look for the angle indicator when installing a rear car seat. The line indicator should be parallel to the angle of the ground. A good installation will have no room to move. It is best achieved by positioning your body at the back of the seat and pushing the car seat down into the vehicle seat and pull out the end of the belt. This will remove the slack.
- Constantly check the cars seat as your child grow and make an adjustment to make sure it fits your child.
How to correctly strap the baby into the seat?
Even after the correct installation of the car seat, it is good to ensure that the bay is properly strapped into the car seat. The correct strapping is one in which you cannot pinch the straps away from the baby’s shoulders with either your thumb or your index finger.
The other thing that you should note is that the buckle should rest at armpit level. Moreover, the baby’s back should be flat against the back of the seat. You should as well avoid bulky clothing that can prevent a snug fit.
How long do babies use car seats?
- Usually, a child is a move to a convertible car seat from their infant seat, when they reach a certain height or weight limit. This usually comes at around 9 months to 18 months. They must be a move to a rare facing convertible seat, until the age of 2 years. Beyond 2 years of age, the child must be removed from a car seat.
When the baby grows taller than the top of the infant car seat top
Baby’s grow at different rates. That is why a standard of one year is provided for the use of the infant car seat by most of the manufacturers. However, in most cases, the baby will only use the infant car seat for less than one year. It can be for six to twelve months.
This case happens when the baby gets too taller before attaining the age of one year. If you find out that the crown of the baby’s head is less than one inch from the top of the infant’s car seat, then it is time to upgrade. It does not matter for how long the baby has used the infant car seat, it is safer to switch to bigger and best convertible car seats.
Understanding Infants and Convertible Car Seats
Some infants can be fitted comfortably in a convertible seat, but, for the smaller size babies, they must be kept in an infant seat, until they reach the age of 6 to 9 or as they reach the height and weight limit.
Infant vs Convertible (Car Seats)
The infant car seat is really designed for one purpose: to accommodate infants ages 2 to 8 months. It is designed to have your baby seated comfortably in a rear-facing position. Some brands are using the standard size, to make it compatible to the strollers.
This will be the advantage because you will not buy a separate stroller to carry your baby. The problem is that it will not last long. Once your baby reaches the age limit or the weight and height limits, the baby now will be kept by a convertible car seat. This kind of seat is capable of facing forward, which your baby now requires.
On the other hand,
Best convertible car seats are build to carry your baby on wards, until the age of 2 years. It has a lot of features and functionality, that will keep your baby safe when driving. The disadvantages are obviously the size and heaviness. It takes so much space in your car.
These convertibles are also not capable of integrating with strollers. So, you will have to buy a separate stroller. Although the more advance and expensive convertibles have the capability to insert infants, it still lacks the comfort of being in an infant car seat.
If you have the money, it is better to use the infant seat for your infant. When your baby reaches the limit, you just buy another convertible, to keep your baby safe while you are driving.
When to switch from infant car seat to convertible?
This is one of the most intriguing questions a parent will have. It is deciding when is the best time to move his baby from an infant seat to a convertible car seat. There are many convertible car seats, that are capable of handling new born in the market today.
However, parents are still favorable to using the infant car seat, for the reasons of comfort and economics. Babies are still more comfortable in an infant seat than in a convertible car seat.
However, time will come that your baby will not remain kept in an infant car seat. The time has come that the baby reached the height limit and the weight limit accorded by law. By this time, the baby should be facing forward, while on travel. The babies size requires them to be kept in a convertible car seat, which is more comfortable and safer.
Some states is taking it compulsory for the parent to have one convertible car seat for each child on board. Most of the best convertible seats are with a booster to add comfort and protection to the babies, while you are driving.
When to upgrade from an infant car seat?
Upgrading from infant car seat to a convertible car seat is required when your baby reaches the height and weight limit as required by law. It is to make sure that the baby will have complete comfort and protection, while on board a car. The requirements are:
- You must check the weight limit of your infant car seat. If your baby exceeds the weight limit, it is now time to upgrade to a convertible car seat. Most infant seats can accommodate 35 lb. baby, there are still those limited to 20, 22and 30.
- Height requirement is also to be followed. If your child is way above the height limit of the car seat, your baby needs an upgrade. The height limit will depend on the brand of your car seat.
- Head height. Some babies still fit the height limit but failed to be on the head height limit. The most car seat has a limit of 1 inch above the top of the car seat. if the baby’s head is 1 inch above the top of the car seat, the baby should upgrade. Some cars have a head height limit of 1.5 inches. So, you must check your infant car seat.
I will have to go to the Britax Advocate. Being manufactured by a very reputable company in the industry, it is packed with everything you need to provide the baby with utmost comfort. It also carries the convenience in installation and adjusting it to fit the babies required position.
Our babies are a precious position to us and we should not compromise comfort, safety, and convenience with the price.
All you need to know about booster seats
As the baby grows gradually, he or she will need to go through stages of car seats. A newborn will use the infant car seats and later upgrade to the rear-facing convertible car seat. After some time, the baby can then use the front facing convertible car seat. But before transitioning into using the normal car seat, the child should first use the booster seat.
The transitioning of the car seats will depend on factors such as age and size. the best convertible car seats with boosters is simply a seat cushion which is used to elevate the child in a car. The main work for the booster seat is to enable the child to have a seat belt’s perfect fit. The booster seats make children’s riding safer and more comfortable. There are two types of booster seats.
Standard types of convertible car seat booster
There are two major types of booster seats for your child. The following are the two types;
The backless boosters are specialized cushions for children to sit on. From its name, the backless boosters do not have the back cushion, it only has the lower cushion to sit on. The backless booster helps to raise the child above the normal car seat. These boosters have the belt guides that enable the child to correctly place the belt. Normally the belt guides are the armrest or metal tubes or rings.
What are the pros of backless booster?
This booster is suitable for those children who are taller for their age. It is also designed in such a way that the child can sit all the way back against the vehicle seat hence providing comfortable legroom. They are as well lighter which makes rearrangement simple. In terms of price, this kind of seat booster is cheaper when compared with the high back booster.
What are the cons for the backless booster?
The big problem with this seat booster is that it does not provide good comfort for the child to sleep. It is likely that the child’s head slumps to one side while asleep. There are some backless boosters that do not come with seat belt positioning guides. This makes it difficult for seat belts positioning and tightening. It lacks the padding’s around hence posing a high risk to a child’s safety in case of an accident.
High back booster
There are two types of this kind of booster seat. There is the belt positioning booster and combination. The belt-positioning booster is just like the backless booster but it has a back and a head support booster. With the back booster, you can easily remove it, turning the seat to a backless booster. The other type of high booster, the combination acts as either a car seat with 5-harness for children or a belt-positioning booster. For this kind of model, normally it does not have the removable back like the belt positioning booster.
What are the pros for the convertible car seats with the high back booster?
High back booster has some extra useful features that the backless booster has. They are at the most time sold as a combination seat that has a five-point harness or even a removable back. They also have the seat belt guides that ensure that there is a perfect fit for the children. In the case of a crush, the child is well protected with the highly padded headrest and side wings. The wings as well make the child have a comfortable sleep while riding.
What are the cons for the high back booster?
There are two main disadvantages of the high back booster. Normally, you will find that the market price for the high back booster is very high. The other disadvantage is that they are normally very heavy hence making frequent transfer hectic or even impossible. They are at sometimes likely to leave imprints due to its weight and size. The other disadvantage is the in as much as it provides side and back protection in case of an accident, it does not protect the child from the forward forces.
Need for added protection to the baby’s head
Convertible car seats provide the best head support to the baby. This makes it best for the toddlers’ developing bones. Moreover, the convertible car seat has adjustable head support to ensure that the baby’s head is cradled at all times. Therefore, protecting your baby’s head is one of the factors that will make you switch from infant car seat to the convertible car seat.
Need for safety over convenience
It is very risky to ride your baby in an infant car seat especially if your baby is more active or has grown big. Therefore, getting the best convertible car seats will ensure that your baby enjoys the ride without having to worry about his or her safety.
Moreover, it has been established that an infant car seat is not good for the baby to sleep in. This is because it will end up affecting the baby’s neck and back. Therefore, switching from the traditional car seat to the modern car seat will ensure that your baby gets a good sleep while riding.
Need for reuse
You will need to dig deeper into your pocket to purchase a car seat for your child. Therefore, before you purchase any of the car seats, you should consider the time that it will last. You may want to use again the car seat for the second and subsequent children. Therefore, investing in a long-lasting car seat is wise. Purchasing a convertible car seat is actually worth it since the car seat can be rebuilt after a few years.
Despite the high price that comes with the convertible car seat, it is worth it since you will use it for the rear-facing position, then convert it to front facing or even boost it. You can rebuild as well for the next baby without having to worry about purchasing a new car seat for the new born.
Ease of use
Convertible car seats are not very easy to use. They have multiple modes which require adjustment of the recline whenever you want to use a different one. Regular checks of the settings are a requirement for the best convertible car seats. This will require more time and effort to do the regular checks.
While on the other hand, the infant car seat is easy to use and even to install. Since it has a detachable base, you can easily lift the carrier part even without disrupting the baby’s sleep. Installation of the infant car seat is much easier as well, all you need to do is to click it into the base or out of the base at any time.
You will find out that the two car seats have different prices. Convertible car seats are a bit more expensive than the infant car seat. The additional and advanced features found in the convertible car seat makes it more expensive. However, purchasing best convertible car seats will eventually save your future budget considering that it lasts longer.
On the other hand, infant car seats are a bit cheaper when compared with the convertible car seats. However, the prices for the infant car seat in the market range from cheap to more expensive depending on the quality and the make. The more expensive infant car seats provide more comfort and have unique designs.
Our main selection
Convertible car seats can be easily found in the market. There are many companies offering such a product. Buying the top is your preference. Whether you need to buy the convertible car seat for small cars, the best convertible car seats for travel, the convertible car seat for an infant, a Britax or Graco brand, the convertible car seat for toddlers or a convertible car seat with a booster. So as long as you look for the best convertible car seats. Your baby’s safety should not be compromised.
That being said, in this case, we do not hesitate to proclaim the Chicco NextFit Convertible Seat as the best model on the list. It simply has so many useful functions, is extremely well designed. And, above all, provides an excellent level of protection.
For a high-quality chair with a lower price (and it’s about half the price of the Chicco). Our recommendation would be the Safety 1st Stretch and Go Convertible Safety Seat. Again, this is a very well designed chair that has a number of useful features and will provide a high level of protection.
This chair could be with your child for 10 years or more, literally providing a seating solution until they are sufficiently big enough to sit in a normal seat without help. That is simply excellent value for money!